Synopsis: A thoughtful folk ballad about the uncomfortable space between the people we aspire to be and the people we really are.
Lyrics:
I can worship gods by the thousand,
Or invent another tomorrow.
Yet I still resent the preacher
Who says there's only one road to follow.
[Chorus – soft harmony joins on the second line]
So, how do I reconcile my contradictions?
Why do I want both worlds at once?
[Verse 2 – bass and brushes enter]
I want every human and animal
To have enough to live.
Yet I still want to be top dog,
The one who always wins.
I want everyone to play their best,
To bring their finest game.
Yet somewhere deep inside myself,
I still want all the fame.
[Chorus – fuller harmony]
So, how do I reconcile my contradictions?
Why do I want both worlds at once?
[Verse 3 – cello and bansuri enter]
I know that every child that's born
Will one day grow old and die.
Yet somewhere deep inside my heart,
I dream I'll never say goodbye.
I tell my children not to worry,
While I worry all night myself.
I preach forgiveness every day,
Yet replay old arguments for years.
[Chorus – strongest harmony]
So, how do I reconcile my contradictions?
Why do I want both worlds at once?
[Verse 4 – warmest arrangement]
I want this song on every tongue.
I want strangers speaking kindly,
Long after I'm gone.
I want the room to overflow
When they finally lay me down.
I want love to outlive my name,
When I'm no longer around.
[Outro – solo voice, instruments gradually fall away]
Am I fooling everyone—
Or only fooling me?
Or is this simply what it means
To be human?
Or have I mistaken
Hypocrisy for humanity?

Comments
Post a Comment