GIFFENMAN
Origin of the ideas
Every song begins with an idea rather than a melody.
Those ideas emerge from a lifetime of lived experience, wide-ranging academic study, observation and critical reflection on the world around me. I am naturally drawn to questions that are neglected, misunderstood or capable of being viewed from an unexpected perspective. Many of these ideas remain with me for months, and sometimes years, gradually developing before they are ready to become songs.
The writing process therefore begins long before the first lyric is written. It begins with sustained thought, curiosity and reflection.
Writing and revising the lyrics
When an idea has matured sufficiently, I record it in its simplest form. At this stage it may consist of little more than a question, an image, an observation or a loosely connected set of thoughts.
The challenge then is to discover the story that best communicates the idea. Through repeated drafting and revision, I shape the material into a lyric that is coherent, emotionally engaging and singable. Every line is examined for meaning, rhythm, imagery, narrative flow and economy of language. The process often involves many revisions before I am satisfied that the lyric expresses the original idea as clearly and memorably as possible.
The finished lyric is therefore the product of sustained human judgement, writing and editorial refinement.
Developing the musical concept
Once the lyric has reached a mature form, I begin thinking about its musical identity. Before any recording is produced, I usually have a clear conception of the emotional atmosphere the song should create, together with its likely genre, tempo, instrumentation, vocal style and overall character.
My task is then to translate that musical vision into instructions that an AI-assisted music generation tool can interpret. This is an iterative and often imperfect process. Different prompts produce different musical outcomes, many of which do not reflect my intentions.
I listen critically to each version, evaluate it against the emotional and artistic objectives of the song, revise my instructions and repeat the process until I obtain the closest possible interpretation of the music I originally imagined. As an independent songwriter working without collaborators, I sometimes accept a version that communicates the intended spirit of the song, even if it falls short of my ideal musical realisation.
The role of AI
AI is used solely as a production tool to create demonstration recordings of songs that already exist in conceptual and lyrical form.
The technology does not determine the subject, story, themes or creative direction of the work. Those originate with me. My role is to conceive the ideas, write and revise the lyrics, determine the musical direction and exercise critical judgement throughout the creative process.
The resulting recordings are demonstration performances intended to communicate my artistic vision to publishers, artists and collaborators. They should be regarded as working interpretations of the songs rather than definitive recordings.
Originality and authorship
The underlying ideas, themes, narratives and lyrics are entirely my original work.
Many of my songs explore subjects that are rarely addressed in contemporary songwriting—including philosophy, mythology, economics, ethics and social observation—or revisit familiar subjects from an unconventional perspective. Their originality lies not simply in the words themselves but in the questions they ask, the connections they draw and the stories through which they invite listeners to think.
My role throughout the creative process is that of author, editor, artistic director and final decision-maker. AI assists in producing demonstration recordings, but it does not originate the creative ideas or replace the human processes of observation, imagination, judgement and revision on which every song is built.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Short
Every song begins with a human idea. It is developed through research, reflection, writing and repeated revision before any AI-assisted recording is created. AI serves as a production tool that helps communicate my artistic vision; it does not originate the concepts, stories or lyrics that define my work.
Comments
Post a Comment